International Students: Accommmodation and housing aid

Accommodation in a University Residence

This is the most economical form of accommodation, and residences are located close to university campuses.

- Students participating in an exchange program:
If you wish to stay in a room in a university residence, you must make the request through the online application and send your application to the International Relations office before the following dates:
  • April 30th for first semester and full year students
  • November 15th for second semester students

Applying to Nantes Université does not guarantee you a room in university residence. Considering the limited number of places, sometimes all demands cannot be met.

Room reservation will be confirmed between June 15th and 30th for first semester and full year students, and between December 10th and 15th for second semester students.

- Non-exchange students:
You should apply directly to the CROUS ( and consult their website to find out what procedures you need to take. The CROUS offers the following types of housing :
  • Rooms in university residences (254.8 € per month) : 9m² rooms with shower/WC cabin, refrigerator. These residences offer communal modern kitchenettes, communal work and TV areas, internet access. All rooms are rented for 9 months.
  • New residences : one room of approx. 18m² (individual rooms) and open plan one room (T1 bis) or two rooms (T2) of 30 to 40m² (for couples), furnished with kitchenettes (sink, refrigerator, double electric plate, wardrobe) and shower/WC cabin.

If your application in a hall of residence is accepted, you must :

  • Pay a security deposit (just over a month's rent). This deposit will be reimbursed when you leave provided no damage has been done to the room.
  • Provide an housing insurance certificate which covers fire, flooddamage, personal liability insurance. (contact student mutuelles insurance companies)
  • Provide details of a financial guarantor who lives within the European Union and who will pay the rent if you do not (for non-exchange students only)
> Good to know: The university has also signed an agreement with Studapart:
To connect, you need a code which you can request from
LOKAVIZ is a CROUS platform dedicated to private accommodation offers.

Accomodation in the city centre

Single or shared private accommodation

Nantes Université has signed an agreement with Studapart giving access to a wider range of accommodation for international students, exclusively: rentals from 1 to 24 months. You can book your accommodation (studio flats, shared rooms, bed and breakfast, etc.) with trusted rental companies and benefit from personalized support. Accommodations are verified, you can chat with the renter and pay directly online.
  To log in, you need a code, which you can request at:

When looking for private accommodation you can also contact the International Relations Office ( to receive a complete list of useful addresses.

> If you live in the private rental sector, you must:

- Pay a security deposit*. This deposit will be refunded on departure if no damage is found. *see "Finding a guarantor" section below
- Find a guarantor (for non-exchange students only) * *see "Finding a guarantor" section below
Provide proof of home insurance (fire, water damage, etc.)
- Pay fees if you use a real estate agency
- Possibly take out water, electricity, gas and Internet contracts

Finding a guarantor and a security deposit

A guarantor is mandatory for non-exchange students.
A guarantor undertakes to pay the rent for you if you are unable to pay. If you have difficulty finding a guarantor living in France, there is the Visale guarantee: this is a guarantee granted by Action Logement to people under the age of 30. All procedures can be carried out online at

The security deposit is a deposit you pay when you move in. The amount is equal to one month's rent, and will be reimbursed on departure if no damage is found.
Loca-Pass: offered by Action Logement, this "Pass" is a 0% loan to finance the security deposit required when you move in. It is open to students under 30. Apply online at

Studapart will also act as guarantor if you use the partner platform to find accommodation.

Housing aid

If you're a student paying rent, you may qualify for housing assistance from the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales). The amount depends on several criteria: amount of rent, type of accommodation occupied, family situation...
You can apply online at

> Documents to provide:

- Passport or I.D card
- Birth certificate with filiation officially translated
- French bank details (RIB)
- Visa / residence permit for non-EU nationals

> Good to know:
You will find practical information sheets and tutorials in English and Spanish on the CAF website
Mis à jour le 16 January 2024.