Accommodation in a University Residence

Students participating in an exchange program

If you would like a room in a university residence, you must make the request through the online application and send your application to the International Relations office before the following dates:

  • April 30th for first semester and full year students

  • November 15th for second semester students

Please note:

Applying to Université de Nantes does not guarantee you a room in university accommodation.

Considering the limited number of places, all demands can not be met.

The booking of the room will be confirmed between June 15th and 30th for first semester and full year students, and between December 10th and 15th for second semester students.

Non-exchange students

You should apply directly to the CROUS and consult their website to find out what procedures you need to take.

The CROUS offer the following types of housing :

  • Renovated rooms (254.8 € per month) : 9m² rooms with shower/WC cabin, refrigerator. These residences offer communal modern kitchenettes, communal work and TV areas, internet access. All rooms are rented for 9 months.
  • Studios : one room of 13 m² within certain university residences. Furnished, 13 to 14m² with individual shower/WC cabins and kitchenettes.
  • New residences : one room of approx. 18m² (individual rooms) and open plan one room (T1 bis) or two rooms (T2) of 30 to 40m² (for couples), furnished with kitchenettes (sink, refrigerator, double electric plate, wardrobe) and shower/WC cabin.

If your application is accepted you must:

  • Pay a deposit (just over a month's rent). This deposit will be reimbursed when you leave provided no damage has been done to the room.
  • Provide details of a financial guarantor who lives within the European Union and who will pay the rent if you do not.
  • Provide an insurance certificate which covers fire, flooddamage, personal liability insurance. (contact student mutuelles insurance companies, parents' insurance company, banks etc)

Residents of the accommodation listed above can apply for the APL (Aide Personnalisée au Logement). If your request for this aid is successful you can expect to pay a reduced rent of:

  • Renovated room: : 112.75€ to 131.18€ approx

Housing aid

If you are a student paying rent, you can benefit from housing aid from the C.A.F. (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales).
This aid is calculated according to your income.

To benefit from this aid you have to fill out a form directly on the CAF website. You can come to the Guichet Unique or go directly at the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales if you need assistance.

Documents to provide (E.U students) :

  • Photocopy of birth certificate and photocopy of passport / I.D card
  • photocopy of your French student card
  • photocopy of your health insurance card
  • A relevé d'identité bancaire - RIB (given when opening a bank account)
  • a sworn declaration to state that you have sufficient finances to cover your year of study in Nantes (help can be given for this at the Guichet Unique)
  • Certificate of university residence or rent certificate filled our by your landlord if you are in a house-share.

Non EEA and non EU students :

You will need a photocopy of your VISA VLSTS or residency permit, as well as your relevé d'identité bancaire and your birth certifiicate.

Youth hostels and staying with a host family

Youth hostels :

You can find temporary accommodation in a youth hostel (communal rooms from 3 to 4 people). Bed linen provided. Minimum stay is two nights and maximum stay is 15 nights. Reservations are not taken.

Staying with a host family :

If you would like to stay with a French family, the CRIJ (Centre Régional d'Information Jeunesse) have lots of names and addresses of organisations and families at your disposal.

Youth hostel : la "Manu"
Tram line 1 - stop: Moutonnerie
2, place de la Manu
Tél. 02 40 29 29 20

Consult the CRIJ website for accommodation listings:

CRIJ des Pays de la Loire

CIJ de St Nazaire

CIJ La Roche sur Yon

Accomodation in the city centre

If you would like private accommodation, lots of organisations are available to help you with your search:
  • The CROUS
The " logement en ville " is a free service which puts students in direct contact with landlords. Students can collect as many addresses as they wish. This service is accessible through the CROUS website.
  • Furnished accommodation :
Furnished and well-equipped apartments:
Résidence Eole Europe

  • Local newspapers
You can find classified advertisements in the local newspapers 44 annonces, Presse Océan, Ouest-France...)

If you are renting private housing:

You will have to fill out a lease agreement and and sign an inventory of fixtures. Study the contract carefully, and take note of how much notice you must give before leaving the apartment (usually 3 months before departure).

You will also be asked to pay a deposit of approximately one or two months rent which will be reimbursed following your departure, provided no damage has been done to the house.

You must provide details of your financial guarantor (somebody who must pay the rent if you fail to do so). This person must be a resident of the European Union. This person will be asked to provide proof of income and identity (salary slips and tax statement).

You must also show proof of insurance which covers fire, flood damage and personal liability.

Please note

If you are using an agency to find your accommodation, you will be asked to pay agency fees of the equivalent of a month's rent.
Some agencies will also ask you to pay a fee to access their lists of available accommodation (150 € in general). This will not be reimbursed, even if you eventually find housing without their help.